Tuesday, April 6, 2010

I'm back!

As most know, I served as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints from Sept '08-Feb '10. I returned home February 5. I reported my mission on February 14. And since then, what have I been up to, you might wonder. Well, let me fill you in!

I started working again on February 10, just 5 days after coming home. It was fast but awesome! I'm working at the same place I worked before my mission: a residential treatment center for teenage girls. I walked into the office Monday, 3 days after coming home, and asked Richard, my old boss, if I could have a job again. There happened to be an open shift, so I started Wednesday. It was the easiest hiring process I've ever been through! I've now been working there about two months and I still love it! I love being with these girls and helping them through their really hard times; I love seeing them change and grow and learn how to live health lives. It is so incredibly rewarding!

I'm also in the process of finding/applying internships at children's hospitals around the country. I'm looking for internships in the field of child life, which was the focus of my undergrad studies. Lots of people ask what child life is, so here's a little description. I work with hospitalized children and their families, to reduce the trauma of a hospital stay on them. I do this through working with the doctors, nurses, and social workers as a liaison/advocate for the child and family. It's a good blend of my love for my medicine and psychology. I'm excited to see where I'll end up for the fall semester, aka Aug-Dec (of this year).

I also like to read library books and watch "What Not to Wear" and "Gilmore Girls." I play with my friends and family. That's pretty much it. That's what I've been up to!

2 comments:

BBB said...

I had no idea you were interested in becoming a Child Life Specialist. I considered going that route for awhile and took a few classes.

Good luck finding a job, you'd be a fantastic fit with that profession.

Luke and Mel said...

Holy Smokes! I didn't know you have a blog, but now that I know I'm excited. Except that you seem to never update....hmmm...oh well, I'm still glad!