1960 sit-in that led the Civil Rights Movement
The art we made for Julia's room
Sipping Chic-Fil-A lemonade at the pool
Sisters
Sweet shades at the pool
It was a wee bit windy at the baseball gameI went to North Carolina this past week to visit my older sister, who I affectionately call Juju-Bear. What a blast we had! We spent lots of time together (obviously) and did lots of fun things. (Because we don't do boring things.) Apparently, we like to eat, 'cause we went to Chick-Fil-A (the filla, as Julia says) not once, not twice, but three times. I also ate the best hamburger of my life at Natty Green's (a pub/diner). And then there's the sandwiches at Jimmy John's--oh, they are like heaven on earth! And today, I learned that there is one just down the street from me. Wahoo! And never fear, in accordance with my "palate of a five-year-old" we had Lunchables and cookie dough for dinner one night.
As far as actually playing, we went swimming at the neighborhood pool; this is where we met the local abused woman (I'm not kidding, this lady is in a seriously abusive relationship but refuses to leave because she "loves him" and "he needs her") and also the local California Raisin, who drinks Chardonnay out of a grown-up sippy cup. Yes, quite the quality folks here at the Greensboro pool. We listened to beach music at an outdoor music festival, with fountains as background ambiance. Along with Gavin, we went to the Greensboro Grasshoppers baseball game. Too bad they lost 6-20. We did have some delicious hotdogs, chocolate Dippin' Dots, and even cotton candy! (Gavin is a good man, just like Charlie Brown). As is tradition at any family gathering, we watched a lot of "Friends"; Julia even gave me her "Friends" recap, where we watched the best episodes of every season. For some inexplicable reason, I hadn't seen the series finale, which has been remedied--I finally have peace knowing that Ross and Rachel DO end up together! I also decided that I love Ross. If I could find a real-life Ross, I would marry him. One of the great movies of our childhood was "The Gnome Mobile." Since I have the fortune of owning it on DVD, I brought it to watch. Sadly, though, we never got around to it. On our final day together, we went on a walk around downtown Greensboro, browsing windows and taking photos. We truly perfected the art of taking pictures of ourselves. And lastly, we did some decorating in Julia's room; we made us some art and hung some pictures. Although really, I hung the pictures while Julia directed me from her spot on the bed. Once a younger sister, always a younger sister! As with all good things, this trip too came to an end. I was sad to leave; I had a really good time and loved being with my sister, just the two of us. But alas, after four airports, three airplanes, 12 hours of travel, one entire book, 4 episodes of "What Not to Wear", and one lost bag, I arrived home. (My bag found me the next day). This is now the end of my epic travels.

5 comments:
Good times... good times! Glad you guys had fun.
That looks like so much fun! I've always wanted to go there! Cute blog. Hope you don't mind I found you!
Did you see Adam Preskovitch!?!
Megan,
I heard about your mission call...via Marne's blog. Congrats! You will be an awesome missionary. I think all of the little kids will miss you like crazy! Good Luck!
ALi
(Your Maverick Neighbor:)
Hey Meg,
Sounds like you had a great visit with Juju-Bear!!! I am thinking you have had quite a few memorable experiences and I am glad you captured them with photos to preserve those memories!!!!
Love ya tons,
A. Susie
Post a Comment